Saturday 9 June 2012

Channeling Sandy Bullock

I Swallowed A Crystal Ball! Photo: BenBois Open ClipArt Gallery


Today, my husband, Charlie and I decided to go on a bike ride followed up by a nice Drumstick McFlurry.  I am wanting now to write in detail about the near perfection of this whipped and blended icy dessert, but instead will explain to you why this post is entitled "Channeling Sandy Bullock".  

First, I prefer to call her by the name her confidantes refer to her as because, if she knew me, she would want to be my bestie.  Now back to my point.  Back in 2007, Sandy played Linda Hanson, a wifey on the de-press who experiences some weird premonition (thus the film's title) that her husband is dead.  Then he dies (or does he?) and then he's alive, but then he's dead.  Its a hard one to follow while viewing let alone recounting it years later.  But again, I digress.  

My husband didn't die today, thank goodness, nor did I think he was going to die.  Its more about bike safety really and the more I explain myself, the less I feel that my blog title is really hitting the mark.  

Anyway, for some odd reason I had this "gut feeling" that something bad would happen on our bike ride.  Charlie rides with my husband in a Wee Ride infant bike seat that attaches to the grown up's bike at the front between the rider's legs and handle bars.  Its a great invention.  Charlie gets front row view of all the bunnies, dogs, birds, squirrels, fellow bike riders and lawn mowers (his favourite, especially loud ones).   However, my husband is a former BMX-er of the 80s and still (I believe) fancies himself a bit of an Evil Knievel of the Norco variety.  I'm not saying that he's negligent or anything and that he prefers a thrill, daredevil move to ensuring the safety of our son, but I am comparing him to a daredevil, thrill-seeker.  To put it bluntly, my husband likes to zoom down steep hills on his bike very fast. 

So I was the squeaky wheel wifey, cycling behind him reminding him to straighten Charlie's body holster straps and to slow down and blah-dee-blah-dee-blah.  Everything was going A-OK when we pulled up to a red light at the cross walk on the street near the curb.  We were on a side street about to cross quite a busy street in our area.  My husband was a bit far out, his front wheel almost in the far right lane of the oncoming traffic.  He was in position to boot it when the light turned green.  I saw what was happening and it made me nervous.  I thought to myself, "I should say something," but then I thought, "Obviously he knows, he bikes all the time, he is being cautious, and I'm harping too much.  Relax!".  I decided to say it.  "Move back a bit, you're a bit far out don't you think?" I said.  The light for the oncoming traffic had turned red and we were about to go when a car ran a red light right in the lane my husband and Charlie had just been in.  We were stunned.  

So there is my HUGE STRETCH of a blog title.  I had a premonition.  No it didn't involve Amber Valetta having an affair with Julian McMahon.  But it did, possibly, save my families life.  The reason I'm writing about this is because its somewhat notable.  We don't lead very dangerous lives.  There aren't roadside bombs or land mines in our area and our drinking water hasn't been contaminated (at least lately).  Also, I never really believed in "mother instinct" until today.  Believe it! Its real.  I will be providing winning lottery numbers to those who wish to receive them by email only.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Yikkes - scarey bike ride! Love the blog, look forward to future articles (posts/"blogs" = ??)

    ReplyDelete