Tuesday 5 June 2012

Milestones

The loathed shades are now a necessity
I sh*t you not, the day, nay mere hours after I created this blog and published my welcome post, my garburator backed up and I had a flood in my kitchen.  I will try not to take this as an omen that no one will ever visit and enjoy my motherhood musings, but instead will reflect on the literalness with which people might take my blog title.  With a grain of salt my friend, with a grain of salt.
Lemongrass stalks, for example, not garbage disposal friendly.  Neither are bread tie tags or whole cobs of corn.  Just saying.

Today was a good day, we hit three family milestones today.  One, Charlie is 19 months and actually requested (through motioning, grunts and screams) that he wear his sunglasses on his walk today.  The same sunglasses he has refused since we got them (months now).  I was equal parts mystified and impressed.  He looks very dashing in his shades.  Such a big boy.  I try to repeat to myself something my husband coined so that I don't go insane and overanalyze everything.  Behold his pearl of wisdom: "He's a different baby everyday.  A different baby everyday."  This has kept me somewhat flexible I must admit.  And child-centered.  Today Charlie does not like bananas.  The fact that he ate one every morning for the last 9 months should not be taken into account.  He's a different baby today.  If he decides to keep them on until sundown I will have no choice but to play Corey Hart loudly over my stereo. 

The second milestone was that we got a Costco membership (hello suburban couple!), and used it to buy $75 worth of diapers and wipes.  We project we'll be set until at least September on the poopy diaper front.

The third and final milestone is that Charlie, today at the park, actually paid attention to another toddler named Denis.  Up until now, no other child can compete with the fascination that a blade of grass, passing car, his own feet can provide to him.  Denis' Russian grandmother insisted that Denis share his rake and pail and shovel with Charlie.  This gesture utterly captivated Charlie's attention, and he could not tear his eyes away from little Denis for the remainder of our park visit.  To Charlie, Denis' generosity was that of the Dalai Lama.

No comments:

Post a Comment